Built in 1910, the Livestock Exchange Building
was seen as a fortress of commerce for Kansas City and the
western territory. With 475 offices, the building housed the
Stockyards Company, telegraph offices, banks, restaurants,
railroad and packing house representatives, and government
agencies. It was the largest livestock exchange building in
the world and one of the largest office buildings in Kansas
The stockyards had become an independent company in 1871
with 13.5 acres. Over time it grew to 207 acres and housed
the current Livestock Exchange Building. In 1923 the Kansas
City stockyards set a world record for a days’ receipts
of cattle, 60,206 head. The handling capacity of the yards
was 70,000 cattle, 50,000 hogs, 50,000 sheep, and 5,000 horses
By 1945 the Kansas City livestock market was an institution
of national importance. But the up and coming feedlot operations
and auction sales reduced cattle receipts in the stockyards.
In 1984 the stockyards were sold to a group of investors
to try to save the yards, and by 1991 the stockyards held
its last auction.
The building received a $13 million renovation beginning
in 1991 and then CEO and now owner of the Livestock Exchange
Building, Bill Haw, had a vision for the area of low rise
high value commercial buildings such as Gateway and Butler
Manufacturing World Headquarters.
The Livestock Exchange Building has endured fire, flood
and changing economies to once again become a thriving successful
place to do business in this century.